Saturday, September 17, 2011

Gone Junkin'



I had the best time last Saturday. It's been so long since I've been to an auction, maybe a year? It seems like the good ones are getting harder and harder to come by. I'll never forget the time I got a mannequin and the plaster was all cracked and had this great patina and the stand was silver with wooden appliques of bows and swags. And it was out in some kind of tin garage! Oh, just makes me so happy, never know what you'll find. When we moved into our house, after about a year, I finally had it acceptable in terms of decorating then kind of took a break. I'm ready to get back into decorating and fixing a few more things up like the back splash tile. And that means I'm ready to get back into the swing of hitting the auctions. We really do have great rural auctions all over Southwest Oklahoma.




At this particular auction I got three milk glass pieces, two lamps, and a set of etched glasses and plates. I missed a carved frame by eating lunch. I was also outbid on a pair of busts (the statue kind, not the "other" kind, ha!) from the 70s I think. I was thinking they might look cool painted black but I wasn't willing to spend a lot of money to find out about that experiment. Adam was there with me and he was handy for moral support ; ) and to carry stuff to the car. I sent him in the house to bid on one lamp and he came out with two. It's easy to get the auction fever in the heat of the moment!





After we were done at the auction we went to Weatherford to my favorite antique store. I don't think I've been there for nearly two years. How can that be? The owner has the best sense of style. She amazes me how she thinks to use old stuff. At the antique mall I got ribbons, paper Christmas place mats, a black clock, a box full of type card from the American Printer's Association, an old Chic-O-Line poultry feed sign, the most amazing metal postcard/card stand, some Oklahoma car license plates, a red, cream, and blue floral tablecloth, and an oval, carved gilded mirror. I also got a fabric subway art/street sign thing. It looks old but it's not - it just fabric and it was 42.00 dollars and not a couple hundred dollars had it been canvas.



















This reminds me of the Jenni Bowlin Studio seal stamp that I love so much. I can't wait to put this sign over my mantle and decorate around it for fall. After doing a little online research, I found out this was from a grain mill in Chickasha, OK.


Did I make a haul or what? I hope to go again next weekend. Thanks for stopping by!

11 comments:

  1. those are some awesome finds!! the post card holder is my favorite!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah - you've got a haul there! What great finds!! I've never been to an auction but around here we seem to have a lot of estate sales - I score the best stuff at those.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bri - to tell you i'm jealous right now is a massive understatement. FOR REAL! you're a lucky girl... we don't have all that here. *sigh*

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! I die, I die, I die! You found such cool stuff, Bri. I love every single piece. LOVE!

    ReplyDelete
  5. amaaaazing stuff briana! i used to have such fun at the antique/flea markets in Oklahoma when we lived there - they just aren't as good in Colortado!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Um heck yes you did Awesome!! Love that sign! Can't wait to see what you do with it all so when you're done decorating please share!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Fabulous finds! What is the name of the store in Weatherford...I must check it out sometime!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Awesome buys! I love milk glass too.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another reason I need to live near year. You could teach me the ropes on finding cool things like this AND decorate my home. LOL I have a basement full of milk glass. Are you telling me I could have been decorating with it? Oh man...I am so lost. Great finds. I dig that sign, license plate and the post card holder.

    ReplyDelete
  10. * live near you. Not near year. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  11. wow! nice score
    and that card stand
    amazing!!
    x0x

    ReplyDelete