Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Guesting For American Crafts!

I'm so excited, SO excited, to share with you that I am the guest designer this week at American Crafts! The theme this week is getting inspiration from quilts - something I absolutely love to do! I used Chap, Amy Tangerine, and Garden Cafe in my projects. These collections were so easy and so much fun to work with!
This was inspired by a single quilt block using mostly Garden Cafe and some Amy Tangerine. It was much easier than it looks. I cut 4 large squares and laid paper strips across them on the diagonal then trimmed the excess off. I printed the journaling then cut it into strips and ran it along the diagonal lines. The second photo, above, shows the layout rotated so you can see the journaling a little better. Definitely a happy girly page!♥ ♥
With this layout, the Silhouette was very handy but you can still do it if you don't have a die cutting machine. I cut 36 2" squares with the machine so they would be exact. Then I designed the quarter circle in Silhouette, duplicated it 5 times (all that is needed with double sided paper if using both sides), and cut out out several patterns. It was inspired by a quilt I saw online by Mandy P., Fabric Paper Glue. You can see it here. She calls this a Drunken Path pattern. This layout is about the second I caught my son giving my daughter a little hug while they watched their Portable North Pole videos - I think he was so overcome with joy (cause he was on the good list, I think he was holding his breath a little there) that he gave her a hug. He NEVER does stuff like that. This was made using mostly Amy Tangerine and a little Garden Cafe.
I drew the stars in Silhouette. Each center square is 2" and each star point is 1/2" wide, adding up to a full 12" complete horizontal row. Again, you don't have to have a machine. You can find a pattern online and trace it or draw your own - especially if you have some grid paper. It was inspired by this quilt here at Quilting With Roxanne. I typed the journaling in Word and set the line spacing really close. I printed it out and used one of the negative star shapes from one of the sheets of paper that had been cut with the Silhouette as a pattern to trace around the journaling. I used Ali Edwards' files for the titlework - I used "wishes" on the  photo and opened "birthday" in Silhouette, traced it, then cut it out. I used all Chap supplies for this one.
This card is based on a Double Wedding Ring pattern. I found a free pattern online, opened it in Silhouette, traced it, then cut it out and used that for a pattern to cut the curved pieces by hand. The Hello sticker fit just perfectly in that spot I thought! This is all from Garden Cafe.
 
 
This is the altered project I made. I had this cigar box but the top was a really ugly faded mustard/brown color. I like mustard yellow but this was weird. I wanted to use AC paper to cover the top. The top pattern is based on a Triple Irish Chain. Again, I cut all the squares in Silhouette for accuracy. I used a mixture of Chap and Garden Cafe - they mix in a cool way I think. I drilled a hole in the top and added a bronze knob on top so my son could get it open easier (although I have kind of kept it for myself with jewelry in it for now, it does say "treasures"??? right? I think it will eventually make it's way to his dresser though ;) ) Along the front I added a strip of chevron and a chipboard frame with, like I said, the phrase "Trinkets & Treasures." I really didn't think it needed much more than that!

I hope maybe you've been inspired by something I've shared and will try a quilt pattern on your next project if you haven't yet!

17 comments:

  1. BRIANA, I AM BLOWN AWAY! each one is a piece of art!!! absolutely incredible!! i could go on and on! me being a quilter makes e love these even more. you do have some mad skills, girl!! congrats on the guesting for AC!!!
    WOW! just WOW!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. now i have to go back and study each one. eye candy i say! eye candy!
    see, i said i could go on and on. lol!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. ok, one last comment. ;) the drunkards path is brilliant!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Swoon swoon swoon! I love each and every project and am so inspired by your work!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You rocked it! Wow!!!! Just wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Briana, these are awesome! Congrats on blowing the top off of the quilt inspiration AND on being the guest designer. I am so impressed with how you used your silhouette with these layouts. Absolutely love all you have done, but I keep going back to Z's birthday layout. Those stars are beckoning to me. So cool. Oh and I have to say I just scrolled back up to the drunken path and as I was looking at the quarter circles I realized I walk like that when sober. ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  7. congrats on the guesting-each page is a stunning work of art!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adore all these pages especially the quilt one - it's so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  9. oh my Briana! these are just gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I love everything you create! Beautiful work!!!Everything looks like it should be framed and hung on the wall not put in a book. Awesome! Congrats!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. EVERY SINGLE ONE OF THESE are AMAZING!!! congrats! congrats, briana! WOOO HOOOOO!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. congrats on the guest DT spot at AC! Your layouts, card and box are absolutely stellar! Amazing work as always Brianne! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Briana, not Brianne! I am losing it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. well everything is fantastic of course! The one with all the mist is my fave. Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I just tracked this post down. I'm glad you were inspired by my quilt! I love the page that you created. A very pretty interpretation!

    ReplyDelete