Tuesday, February 28, 2012

A Boys Life: A Shark Box & A Wolf Tail | New Vintage Treasures

A few weeks ago we started working on Z's Valentine's Day box. I was planning on covering a shoe box with white paper and putting primary colored hearts and stuff on it. So I asked Zane what we wanted to do and he said he wanted a sea creature (he's opposed to hearts in general). Then he said he wanted a shark. And I thought that would be so much more fun than what I was planning. I had already bought a large paper mache mailbox from Hobby Lobby when they were on sale in anticipation of Valentine's Day. I was thinking I needed a box that we could open the top and make a shark mouth to drop the Valentine's cards down into when it hit me I could turn that mailbox up on it's end and use that for my shark mouth!
We painted the outside grey, the inside red with a red glitter mouth, I cut a styrofoam ball into eye sockets and bought blue animal eyes at Hobby Lobby. I used hot glue for everything - well, except the glitter. I drew the teeth and let him cut them out then glued them onto the inside of the lid and if you position it just so the mouth will stay open if you allow the teeth to rest on part of the mouth opening. He helped me paint, applied the glitter, pushed the eyes in, and cut out the teeth. I used red foam Thickers for his name. Then I drew and cut the water waves out at the bottom because even though he can cut just fine, waves aren't in his cutting repertoire yet. It's really pretty simple but oh so cute!
We (meaning me and most of you blog readers who are fellow crafty people) do stuff like this all the time so I forget sometimes how cool this kind of stuff is to people who don't craft - but people were amazed at this box! All the kids gathered around him when he walked into the room and wanted to see it. Adults were commenting on it all the way down the hall as they walked into the building and I got compliments on it at the school party. And it's going to look cute in his room all the time, not just for V-Day. I had to give myself a little pat on the back for coming up with this one ;)


So, this is our next crafty adventure - Fairy Tale Day. Zane wanted to be The Big Bad Wolf. But he really looks like The Little Sweet Wolf. We had these wolf ears from Great Wolf Lodge in Texas. I used some of the fur fabric I bought for the tail and put some on the ears so they would match.
I bought the faux fur fabric at Hobby Lobby. I just cut it into the shape of a tail, slightly tapered at the bottom. I used just a little stuffing in the middle then glued two sides I had cut together leaving the top open. I cut two pieces of elastic and hand stitched them into loops on the back side of the tail so that he could slide the tail onto a belt and I used two so that one would be on either side of his back central belt loop on his pants so the tail would not slide around - and the loops were hidden that way. I could have stuffed it more but I wanted him to be able to sit on it. I think it's pretty darn cute! It was his idea to get down on all fours to pose :) Cuteness.


This is just a new pretty picture of my special little girl. This was after church one day. This girl has gotten so talkative! Like non stop! She loves attention and she's figured out that by talking your leg off all day long that's a way to make sure she's getting all she can get, lol. She is my little shadow and how blessed I am. She's almost 4 years old - how time has flown.

Now, yall ready for some new vintage goodies! This is my installment called, "Recently From Ebay."
Lots of tag and lots of Victorian calling cards - like a huge lot, maybe 60, for not much money! I also got a set of 5 Dennison crepe paper crafting booklets for 10.00 I think it was. The printed tags didn't come cheap but they are so cool. There in the upper left you can see an old string  holder. I have another one on the way - can't wait to show you that one.
Paper doilies made in England - they are much finer than anything I've seen or own. Very intricate.
Squeal!!! Tin biscuit box with a lovely patina on the inside, great colors of the band advertising, some embossed manufacturing wording in the back, and you can't tell, but this is a glass lid!! Score, baby!
This is a great little, black wooden tray that I think I got for 10-15 dollars. Each little slot is slightly angled so when you have stuff in there you can see the labels of your stuff better and it kind of displays in a staggered manner. Isn't this fabulous??!
I couldn't believe it when I read Jenni's blog and she had a project using a vintage seal! I've been collecting those too and I even ordered a new one with my initials on it! My new one is the black one, the silver one is the vintage one. Jenni is going to have some for sale on the 15th at the Mercantile. They also sell new ones at Paper Source - I have one and it does a great job. However, can you believe that I actually ordered it with an incorrect date on it?? How dumb I can be sometimes! Sat right there and proof read it and I have the wrong established date for our family! Bwahaha - what a dork. The good news is the embossing plate are interchangeable with the embosser machine so I can just order a new plate.
Here you can see the one I had made - not from Paper Source - some online company who only makes embossing seals, can't remember who but can look it up if you are interested. There were all kinds of designs to choose from, most all looked like the vintage originals. I used malted milk ink on the tag with my initials to make it show up better. The other one with the Indiana seal is a vintage one, it's more of a simple design I would say.
This is a detail shot of one of the Dennison booklets showing how to use their crepe paper to decorate cars and trucks for a parade. The old crepe paper was much more sturdy than what we use today and was sold in big crinkled sheets so this would have been more possible with the heavier crepe.
Good for Christmas stuff
Here's the black box, a new mini chips stand holder with the calling cards clipped on, two stamp holders, and the string holder. Whew! Lots o' shopping going on here.
Finally I leave you with a little sneak of the JBS Mercantile March kit! The kits go on sale tomorrow night at midnight central time!

12 comments:

  1. Such a fun post! love everything!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You certainly did score with all of that vintage goodness. Yea for you, everything looks like so much fun. Your children are just adorable, love the tail. Super cute shark box! It is funny how people gush over things that we crafters 'whip up', so to speak.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I always look forward to your new posts Briana, this one is no exception. I always love these genius ideas you come up with for the kids, you could totally write a book! As for the vintage goodies, you know I LOVE! If I ever get a vintage kit club together, you would be top on my list for the design team! I can't wait to see your new projects with the March JBS kit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG!! I'm jealous of all your vintage finds!! Girl those are awesome!! I'm gonna have to hit up EBAY now but then we might bid against each other Ha. The kiddos are too cute! Love the shark box and the wolf getup!!OOOH your sneak looks AWESOME!! I love everything you create! Just might have to get my first JBS kit from the looks of that sneak.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your kiddos are just so cute! Your vintage finds are in-sane. You are the queen of finding cool stuff. Love it all.

    ReplyDelete
  7. love the shark box, adore the photos of Z! especially the one one his knees!
    ava is so girly and cute and your finds..... wow!!! i believe i might be a bit jealous. lol!!
    i love the looks of it. but what is a string holder anyway??

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great finds. Really great! You must spend hours at eBay :-) Love the shark too. The glitter in the mouth/lit looks fantastic

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh my, you really did score...great finds! I can't wait to see how you use all those goodies!

    ReplyDelete
  10. WOW girl! Lots of really really cool stuff. Makes me want to go shopping!
    Louise

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh man Briana! Such cool stuff! i wanna go ebay-ing with you!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Excellent job on the shark box. Being a crafter I would still be one oooing and ahhhing it. It's fabulous. Love that Z suggested to pose on all fours. It's pretty certain that he has a scrapper/photographer for a mom. LOL I wanted to say your photos are stellar. The lighting, color and focus is excellent. If you haven't been told, A looks more and more like you with every photo I see. What a sweetheart. ♥

    ReplyDelete