Monday, April 16, 2012

Ava's Fourth Birthday Pictures



















Do-do-do-do-do-Dora! Dora, Dora the explorer! Ava, that super cool exploradora! Ha! Ava chose Dora for the theme of her party (Her 2nd party with friends and extended family.  We had a little cake and just us four on her actual birth day that I posted previously). I did what she asked. If it had been up to me it would have been faeries, or rainbows, or butterflies, but she wanted Dora so that's what we did. Good call, Ava! It really turned out so festive. Here's my girl and her cake. The cake is from Homeland - one of our grocery stores. I think they do such a nice job. The only thing - I was not expecting brown icing. The lady asked me what flavor of icing I wanted and I said I was confused - that the icing was supposed to be colored and she indicated to me that she meant the icing between the layers so I said chocolate. But, I loved it! It's not a color I would have chosen but I ended up really liking it because it's unlike anything she's had so far (well, that is only three years of cakes, ha! - But they've all been pink so far).  I love the focus on this photo - with the camera focused in on her cake and her softer in the background. Adam took a pic like that her first b-day and we've done one like it ever since.



She's just so adorable here. She had her little Dora birthday badge and she was messing with one of the little blows outs before the guests arrived. It was my grandparents, Adam's parents, Adam's brother, and two of her little friend's from school and their moms. Oh and I tied tulle around the back of each chair. Her birthday was in March but I put the party off until April so we would have the new play set to do as the main activity. Yep, wouldn't you know it, rained out - too muddy to go outside. I had to improvise a little, kinda freaked me out, I admit I was stressin'. We went to Michael's and she was drawn to the beads they have out right now near the summer stuff down the middle aisle. I figured if she loved that, so would the girls. So we had over sized Dora coloring sheets with felt stickers and glitter glue and then we made the bracelets. I also had a game planned and a pinata (the kind they all get a string to pull since we couldn't go outside) but they didn't even get to it cause they were having so much fun doing the other things then they wanted to go to Ava's room to play. It's cute how kids always want to see other kids' rooms.

Oh yes, the Flarp noise putty went over well as well as those big balloons that have the rubber handle that you bob back and forth on your hand.

I had beads that were large enough for them to string and I had stretchy cord and also pipe cleaners for them to string them on. Cracked me up how Ava got the singing pretend teapot out and set out play teacups on the craft table and they like instinctively poured and passed the teapot as they worked. I had a little table set up with a purple tablecloth with little kid chairs and a few adult chairs - awww, Martha Stewart moment, lol. You can see in the background that Zane was captivated by Angry Birds and was really good for the entire party. He and his grandpa hung out on the couch during the girly stuff. Adam's mom helped me quite a bit in this department. 


He was t'd off he had to wear a "church" shirt and that it had a horse logo on it. He was appeased that I had bought him an Angry Birds balloon when I got Ava's Dora balloons. 

I used a hot pink table cloth from the party store but then I ran part of  roll of multi colored glitter gift wrap paper down the center of the table. Ava loved that paper and said, "I knew you were going to use this, Mom!" Can you see the fork stabbed into the side of the cake and a hunk taken out? Yeah, Ava did that before we could even get the candles lit. I had little sandwiches, a fruit tray, and a cheese tray, chips, salsa, guacamole, and homemade fruit punch. 

Ava's blowing her candles out - you don't need me to tell you that but this photo need a caption in order for my post to look right - bwahahah!! There's Grandma in the back trying to get a good pic. She has the hardest time with pictures. I guarantee you that photo probably stinks.





Okay, this sequence of photos totally cracks me up. I asked them to come over and take one good shot where the lighting was good. They did. Then I said, "Okay, smile this time, Ava." Many times Ava fake laughs in order to smile for photos. She's really been hamming it up lately for the camera. So she starts fake laughing and the little girl in the middle looks at her and gets in on the action, then they all get to laughing and posing. So cute. The little girl on the left has the same expression on her face the entire way until the last. We have enough princess crowns and shoes for an entire herd of little girls. Oh, man, being Ava's mom is a blast.  You can see the cute little party favor bags I got at Michael's in the background there on the table. They each had a necklace and washi tape :) with some other little stuff.

The kids and their Grandee (that's what she requested to be called, kinda fits her personality) - Adam's mom. I want this one in here for Zane to see in case he's ever looking over this blog some day. Funny thought I guess but this is probably the first photo I even have of her on the blog so I think it's a special one. I'm kind of seeing this post as an online scrapbook entry for them.




This sequence is about Grandee getting Ava a "wedding dress." A few months ago Ava was at my grandma's house and saw my wedding dress hanging in the closet. She was totally and completely enamored with that dress to the point that Grandma finally got it down and let her try it on (ahem, I mean stand in it, lol). She talked and talked about my dress and that it was mine and that I wore it to marry Daddy and how she was going to wear a dress like that some day (so I finally brought it home after all these years). So Grandee got her her own wedding dress to play in. I'm sure it was a flower girl dress but with the little headpiece it really did look like a little wedding dress. She loved it. She said I can dress up and marry my prince. Then she wanted her Daddy to play wedding with her and that's the last photo here. It was the sweetest thing. 

She is such a tender hearted girl. Maybe even too sweet and tender sometimes if that's possible? She's been letting a girl (who she really likes) at school boss her around to the point that the teacher told me about it at her conference. I want her to be kind and loving just as she is but I also want her to learn how to nicely but firmly stand up for herself and say, "It's my turn now." She's afraid the girl won't like it if she stands up for herself. Well anyway, she's just wonderful, a blessing every single day, I love her so much, and now she's four years old and as much as I love these photos and what a happy day it was for her,  they sorta break my heart - do you know what I mean? It's like they're so precious but you just can't hold on to them, you can, but you can't  - they grow so fast. It's precious time, for sure. This tiny little face will turn in to a big girl's face, then a young lady's face, then a mom's face and wouldn't it be so wonderful if I lived long enough to see it turn into a grandma's face - to see her through it all. I hope and pray she has a happy life.

8 comments:

  1. Looks like an absolutely wonderful birthday!!
    And she is just adorable!
    Love the little wedding dress :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. How adorable! It looks like it was SO much fun & makes me miss the days when my "baby" girl (now 22) was little.

    Briana, you (& all the other moms of little girls reading this) should check out the book, "Little Girls Can Be Mean." It's about teaching our daughters to stand up for themselves in situations like the one Ava is in with her little friend, and so much more. I'm about half-way through the book and it is really interesting, and an eye-opener. (I'm going to use strategies from it with my first-graders.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks like everyone had fun!! ^_^

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some great pictures to scrap. The top one and the one blowing out the candles to start. Happy Birthday Little Ava. Great job Mom.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Terri, thank you so much for your comment and the book recommendation! I am seriously going to get that. I'm going to read the reviews now!

    ReplyDelete
  6. And thanks to everyone else for taking a minute to leave a comment - very much appreciated!

    ReplyDelete
  7. She's so sweet, Briana! And I totally know what you mean... I look at my two year old Ezri and omgosh, she's way too *old* for two. Ava is so cute... LOL that she stuck a fork in her cake and went to town! Happy Birthday little lady!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh my, they do grow so fast. How sweet she is! Your words made me misty eyed. I think that she will have that wonderful life, for she has so many of the building blocks she needs for it already... two loving parents. I hope you see her experience all those events and more.

    ReplyDelete