Friday, February 22, 2013

Holly Berry Eyes & A Cheese Stick Nose


We got snow last week! Snow, glorious, coveted, wonderful, peaceful snow! It was falling all afternoon in the most gentle way, actually slowly floating down in big soft flakes. It was like magic, to anyone I'm sure, but especially to us in Oklahoma. Adam saw it start and ran around the house getting Ava and I to go look. We were like kids in wonderland. 

We had to get creative with Ava's snowman stuff. Can you believe it, but I had actually roasted all our carrots and we actually ate some healthy food for a change. I digress, so we had no carrots. We had no coal, lol, So Adam came up with holly berries for the eyes. They looked to me for the nose. I had to do my best and marched into the kitchen. Frantically searching the fridge, I came upon a mozarella stick. It would work! We finished him off with a few springs of ivy leaves for hair.  Kinda cute in a simplistic way, I'd say!




Excerpt from A White Christmas

Snow! Snow! Snow!
It won't be long before we'll all be there with snow
Snow
I want to wash my hands, my face and hair with snow

Snow
I long to clear a path and lift a spade of snow
Snow
Oh, to see a great big man entirely made of snow

Where it's snowing
All winter through
That's where I want to be
Snowball throwing
That's what I'll do
How I'm longing to ski
Through the snow-oh-oh-oh-oh
Those glist'ning houses that seem to be built of snow
Snow
Oh, to see a mountain covered with a quilt of snow
-Bing Crosby, Snow, from A White Christmas



Snowfall, snowfall 
Glistening snowfall 
Snowflakes falling 
Winter calling 

Frozen lace, everyplace 
Down they come 
Twirling, tumbling lightly 
Brightly, lovely snowfall 

Lightly, brightly, lovely snowfall 
Lovely snowfall
-Doris Day, Snowfall

Here he is. He's the man. My snowtographer. He loves landscape pics (and snow, did I mention that already) almost as I love everyday pictures. He got the camera and off he went. He took the lovely picture down the street and the one of our house posted down below. He totally cracked me up when I saw this selfie. LOL, he never does stuff like that without me being the leader. What a cute man.


And here she is, our snow princess. She was a trooper this year. Last year snow and Ava = not so much. This year, she loved it. She had a few snowball fights with Adam and they worked on a snowman together while I ran around with my gown, boots, and a coat on getting some pics



I love this one. Something about the composition and the color - or the lack of color with white snow sprinkles all over and that little shot of hot pink. 






So we were really bummed out because Zane was in school and I knew he was missing all the fun. Never fear, his school let them go out and have snowball fights! When we got home they were ready to go out again. Zane ain't gonna let that snow go by without making a snowman. What is up with Ava's expression, lol. Zane's snowman has dead magnolia branches for arms, magnolia leaves for hair, and some kind of black thing (I think it's from a chalkboard eraser) as a bow tie. Later I was clever enough to photoshop in the year in that spot. So then HE got creative with extra body parts for his snowman. When I told my friend Doris this, she said my redneck was showing, LOL!!!

Here's a treat for you. And now don't discount it because it's "old" music (1941). Give it a try. And the snow slideshow photos are just incredible. The song actually sounds like falling snow if it had a sound. I love Doris Day. Truly beautiful woman in so many ways. I heard this song in my head all day long while the snow puffs fell from the sky.



PS - All these photos were taken with my iphone!

1 comment:

  1. such lovely snow pics! (mostly). i didn't know that was a selfie of adam! too funny! and i was like ava with my first snow. it was so cold i cried!

    ReplyDelete